Tag Archive | "MMA/Boxing"

Golden Boy Productions screams slander


Golden Boy Promotions announced late Tuesday that the New York State Athletic Commission has lifted the suspension of the company’s state boxing license, imposed on July 6.

After a hearing on the issues raised by the suspension, the NYSAC saw no reason not to reverse its earlier decision.

Golden Boy claims, “significant but innocent mistakes” caused suspension

Golden Boy is now on the war path, not against the Commission, but against a journalist it claims may have libeled the promotions company.

Golden Boy’s announcement of the reversal savages George Kimball who it claims is guilty of “unprofessional and personally vindictive reporting.”

Kimball’s untruths, according to GBP include reporting that the promotions company was suspended for unethical conduct, “…arising from supposed financial transactions relating to Golden Boy’s May 15, 2010 event in New York.”

The NYSAC ruled on Tuesday that GBP was guilty of omitting the existence of certain contracts. When they were produced, GBP says, the Commission found no evidence of anything other than failure to timely produce what was demanded.

In addition to lifting the suspension, the Commission assessed a $10,000 fine against GBP for violating a New York State law. There was no finding that the company committed any violation of the Ali Act.

The company’s statement ends with a threat to Mr. Kimball and his publishers. “It is our hope that the matter can be put to bed with a retraction and an apology. However, Golden Boy wants to make clear that going forward, it will not tolerate this kind of irresponsible journalism, and will move swiftly to vindicate itself in court and elsewhere.”

Used with permission of the author.

Paula Duffy is a national sports columnist for Examiner.com and the Huffington Post and regularly comments on sports/legal matters for radio affiliates of ESPN and Fox Sports. She founded the sports information site, Incidental Contact, is the author of a line of audio books designed for sports novices and in her spare time practices law in Los Angeles. 

Copyright ©2010 Sports Climax, LLC

Posted in Duffy's Court, Features, MMA/Boxing, Recent BuzzComments (0)

Mosley comments on Mayweather fight


Shane Mosley, his attorney Judd Burstein and Golden Boy Promotions’ CEO Richard Schaefer held a media conferenceshane mosley call on Tuesday. The only topic seemingly out of bounds was the video of Mosley posted last week by Victor Conte.With open questions about what it might mean for Shane Mosley’s claim that he didn’t know what he took in 2003 when he used banned substances supplied by Conte’s business BALCO Labs, neither the fighter nor his lawyer were in the mood to discuss it. The video is posted on my Examiner sports column here.

Burstein’s only comment when asked about it was this: “There is no point in talking about it. It happened in 2003. The video was edited and taken out of context. Shane will be victorious in court. I have nothing more to say about this.”

Moving on, Mosley was asked if he might have a post-fight relationship with Floyd whether business or personal. Shane told us: “Yeah, of course. This is nothing personal for me. It’s business. It’s a competitive sport.” He added, “We could go out to dinner, families and all that.”

Of course, Shane Mosley is not unfamiliar with being in business with former foes. He is a VP at Oscar De La Hoya’s company, Golden Boy Promotions. But a family dinner? Ok then.

Asked if having fought at 154 lbs. will help him against a guy who uses speed and defense, Mosley told us, “It helps with the power. I can walk him down better. I feel good about being in the ring with bigger guys.”

Repeating what he has said for weeks now, Mosley insisted that the taunting and talk from Floyd means nothing to him. “I don’t know what he says about me. I don’t look at any of it. I’m focused on being the best in the ring.”

Shane wasn’t as clear when asked if the Mayweather fight is the biggest fight of his career. He said it was big, if for no other reason than it is what the public wants to see. However, he considers his first fight with Oscar De La Hoya had its significance too.

As you would expect, Mosley was tight lipped about how he and trainer Naazim Richardson have planned to deal with Mayweather’s techniques. The fighter was not shy about showering praise on Richardson. Despite what some might see as an in-your-face style, Mosley said he welcomed it.

“That makes it so much better going into a fight,” he said. “I can rely on him telling me the truth and not holding back. It gives me more confidence when I get into the ring.”

Richard Schaefer alerted media on the call to the fact that the WBA belt cannot be won by Floyd Mayweather if he defeats Shane Mosley. At the present time, Schaefer said it was unclear if Shane could lose it. Nonetheless, it is not a WBA title fight.

Schaefer went on to announce that there are still some tickets available in the $600 and $1,250 category for the May 1 bout in Las Vegas. All others are sold out. The $50 closed circuit seats on the MGM/Mirage properties go on sale tomorrow and 25,000 will be made available.

Re-printed with permission of the author.

Paula Duffy is a national sports columnist for Examiner.com and the Huffington Post and regularly comments on sports/legal matters for radio affiliates of ESPN and Fox Sports. She founded the sports information site, Incidental Contact, is the author of a line of audio books designed for sports novices and in her spare time practices law in Los Angeles. 

Copyright ©2010 Sports Climax™

Posted in MMA/BoxingComments (0)

Verbal Uppercuts Fly After Mayweather/Manny Fight Cancelled


Camp Mayweather has gone on the attack late Thursday with a press release in which they want to make it very clearFloyd Mayweather he isn’t scared of fighting Manny Pacquiao.

Floyd Mayweather’s publicist told me he was tired of the “lies” being spread by Bob Arum and others on the Pacquiao side of the equation. (Their word, not mine). What he wanted the world to know was that he agreed to a modification of the testing procedure PRIOR to the mediation.

Floyd Mayweather says that he already cut the time back from his demand for unrestricted testing and came half-way from his approach to Pacquiao’s suggestion that there should be no tests closer than 30 days prior to the fight.

That’s how the 14 day proposal came about.

Mayweather wants the public and his fans to know that Pacquiao’s side went into the two-day mediation knowing that was on the table already. He’s also adamant that his handlers did NOT suggest that he agree to the Pacquiao proposals.

After the “Correction Order” issued by the mediator made it understood that there was no proposal made by him that was rejected by one of the other side we now have Mayweather telling the world he wants to whip Manny’s punk ass.

What a day. Here’s the full text of Mayweather’s press release.

“Throughout this whole process I have remained patient, but at this point I am thoroughly disgusted that Pacquiao and his representatives are trying to blame me for the fight not happening when clearly the blame is on them.”

“First and foremost, not only do I want to fight Manny Pacquiao, I want to whip his punk ass.”

“Before the mediation, my team proposed a 14-day, no blood testing window leading up to the fight. But it was rejected. I am still proposing the 14-day window but he is still unwilling to agree to it, even though this is obviously a fair compromise on my part as I wanted the testing to be up until the fight and he wanted a 30-day cut-off. The truth is he just doesn’t want to take the tests.”

“In my opinion it is Manny Pacquiao and his team who are denying the people a chance to see the biggest fight ever. I know the people will see through their smokescreens and lies. I am ready to fight and sign the contract. Manny needs to stop making his excuses, step up and fight.”

Tired of the same old sports page? Then check out Paula Duffy’s insightful (and often humorous) take on the sports day at her Examiner.com page! The popular co-host for Sports Journey Radio is also a contributor to the Huffington Post and founder of the sports learning site Incidental Contact. In her spare time, Duffy practices law in Los Angeles. But don’t hold that against her.

 

Posted in MMA/BoxingComments (0)

Mayweather Stays Perfect; Dominates Marquez


LAS VEGAS – Floyd Mayweather, Jr. improved his perfect record to 40-0-25 Kos when he took opponent Juan AP Photo: Laura RauchManuel Marquez to school Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.

After knocking down Marquez in the second round, Mayweather overpowered his much smaller opponent, dominating the fight and earning the unanimous decision.

Judge Burt Clements gave every round to Mayweather scoring the fight 120-107 while Dave Moretti scored it 119-108 and William Lerch’s tally was 118-109.

The stats were as lopsided as the judge’s cards with Mayweather landing 290 of his 493 blows (59%) while Marquez was able to connect on only 12 percent of the 583 punches he threw.

The night was by far the best payday Marquez has seen in his career. In addition to receiving $3.2 million for the fight, the little man from Mexico City was granted an additional $600,000 from Mayweather who was penalized for coming to the weigh-in two pounds over the 144 limit.

Realted Articles:

Cost of Meat In Vegas $300,000 Per Pound

Heavyweight Division in Dire Need of Fix

Copyright © 2009 – Sports Climax

Posted in MMA/BoxingComments (1)

Cost of Meat in Las Vegas–$300,000 Per Pound


LAS VEGAS – Floyd Mayweather Jr. may have just set a new record for the price of beef. mayweather-marquez-weigh-in Beefing up for his upcoming fight, the two extra pounds of meat Mayweather brought to Friday’s weigh-in may cost the fighter $300,000 per pound.

Sources confirmed that Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) is required to forfeit $600K of his portion of the purse to his opponent, Juan Manuel Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs).

Normally the weight limit for the welterweight division is 147 pounds but with Marquez jumping up from the lightweight division, the maximum weight specified in this contract was set lower at 144 pounds. Mayweather tipped the scales at 146 pounds on Friday, two pounds over that limit.

The contract calls for Marquez to receive the 600K on top of his $3.2 million guarantee. Mayweather is guaranteed $10 million.

The Mayweather camp withheld comments concerning the weigh-in but sources say Mayweather was granted approval for the two pound increase and that increase was already agreed upon by Marquez. Problem is; the deadline for filing those changes passed and when Mayweather was given an extended deadline, his camp neglected to meet that time as well.

Executive director Keith Kizer confirmed that story saying the contract for the fight was changed by Golden Boy Promotions to 147 and Marquez had initialed those changes. Kizer went on to say Mayweather’s contract was presented late, just minutes before the weigh-in.

Other Boxing Articles:

Mayweather Stays Perfect; Dominates Marquez Sept. 20, 2009

 Heavyweight Division in Dire Need of Fix

Copyright © 2009 – Sports Climax

Posted in WTF!Comments (1)

Sharks, vampires and athletes


Biting incidents in sports are nothing new, but with mega-billions of bytes passing through high-speed Internet AP Photoconnections worldwide on a daily basis, the most recent perpetrators are gaining notoriety overnight.If fans want to be entertained by biting, they can tune in to Discovery’s Shark Week or pick up an Anne Rice vampire novel; it doesn’t belong in sports.

Sport’s most recent chomper is a high-school kid by the name of Cody Fields from Springfield, Ohio. Fields took a morsel out of a recent opponent during a wrestling match, here’s the photo.

It’s possible Fields is an NHL hockey fan and stole the move from Ottawa Senator Jarrko Ruutu’s playbook. Ruutu just last week clamped down on an opponent’s thumb during a hockey skirmish and the ruthless act cost him a two-game suspension, $31,707.32 in salary and a place in the NHL biters Hall of Fame joining Derian Hatcher and Jordin Tootoo.

Back to that wrestling kid Fields from Springfield.

Lucky for his opponent he isn’t an Australian Football fan following in the footsteps of players like Australian footballer Peter Filandia who was suspended for 10 games after admitting to biting the scrotum of another player during a match.

Filandia’s excuse was he was being smothered under a pile and biting his opponent’s sac was a reflex move.

To date the most famous biter has to be Mike Tyson who chewed a visible chunk of flesh out of Evander Holyfield’s ear during a fight in 1997. After spitting it out in front of a shocked crowd, the fight was stopped and Tyson was disqualified.

Decades earlier, to Tyson’s brutal act, Sports Illustrated named NFL tough guy Conrad Dobler the “Pro Football’s Dirtiest Player” in 1977 after Dobler admitted biting Minnesota Viking Doug Sutherland during a game.

Dobler offered no excuse because, well, he was the dirtiest player in the league.

Regardless what the excuses or reasons are, it’s time to clamp down on these embarrassing infractions. Simple rule is, unless you’re McGruff the Crime Dog, you shouldn’t be taking a bite out of anything.

Copyright © 2009 – Sports Climax

Posted in UncategorizedComments (1)

Holyfield will Fight “Giant” Valuev


ATLANTA – Evander Holyfield will fight the WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev on December 20thin Zurich, Switzerland with contracts expected to be signed by the end of the week.

Holyfield, 46 years-old, has said he will retire and be done by the end of 2009 but that end may come sooner if he steps into a few too many Valuev hooks and gets pounded by this Russian giant.

Valuev is a monster. A 7ft 2in, 330 lb. giant who throws haymakers.

A way for Holyfield to train for the fight against this beast may be to throw his jaw in front of a speeding bus a few times, then see if he can still stand up. Okay, that’s a little too extreme but he better be ready to take a hard pounding.

Although he is facing financial hardships and child support issues, Holyfieldshould realize it isn’t always about “Show me the money!” His age is sure to be a negative factor and he could get permanently knocked stupid if he inadvertently walks into one of those classic Valuev haymakers.

Valuev, 35-years-old, is 49-1 with 34 KOs. Holyfield, a former heavyweight champ has not fought since losing a unanimous decision to Sultan Ibragimov a year ago.

A four-time heavyweight champion, Holyfield will become the oldest fighter to win the crown if he beats the odds and finds a way to defeat Valuev.

In the 1974 classic heavyweight brawl billed as “Rumble in the Jungle”, Ali invented the rope-a-dope to defeat heavy favorite “Big George” Foreman who was 40-0 with 37 KO’s in one of the most improbable finishes in boxing history.

Difference is, as big as 6′ 3″ Big George was, he would have been dwarfed by the 7′ 2″ Valuev.

Evander, step into that ring with your huge heart and rusted knuckles and give it your all but know when to say, “No mas” . . . “No mas.”

Copyright © 2008 – Sports Climax

Posted in MMA/BoxingComments (0)


Stay Up to Date